Celebrate British Science Week with a special race event at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London, on Saturday March 16, 2019.
Race side by side with your ancestors in this epic journey through time. Run with the Ancestors is an exclusive, chip-timed event organised by the British Science Association.
You can sign up for either the 5k or 10k race, each of which will scale down one million years of Britain’s history into a fascinating and unique soundtrack, provided via an immersive new running app created by Six to Start, the team behind Zombies, Run!
From the blustery climates of yesteryear dominated by Woolly Mammoths and sabre-toothed cats to the arrival of our first ancestors and their unique traditions, take a step back in time and run through Britain’s remarkable history.
The 5k race is perfect for families and less seasoned runners while the 10k is best for more confident runners.
Please note:For the full, immersive experience we are encouraging all runners with a smart phone to download the accompanying Run with the Ancestors app, which will be available to download for free during British Science Week. If you purchase a race ticket, we will send you instructions about how to access the app nearer the time.
· 5k & 10k distance, taking place at 10.00 hrs on 16 March 2019 in the North Park area of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park;
· Registration from 09:30;
· An accompanying free app to participate in the virtual experience;
· Course: The course is all on tarmac or hard gravel pathway. The course is made up of two laps, is marshalled, signed with arrows and kilometre markers;
· Race number: available to collect at registration on the day;
· Bag drop, water station and toilets (20p required for toilets);
· Race ticket cost: £20, which includes the entrance fee, a themed medal and a goodie bag to take home;
· The cost of your ticket is a donation to the British Science Association, a registered charity (212479).
Run with the Ancestors aims to connect people with the history of Britain – both its landscape and inhabitants – in a fun and light-touch way by delivering entertaining and informative audio content as you run.
The app has been developed in line with the British Science Association’s mission: to increase the proportion of the UK population who are actively engaged and involved in science, and it aims to engage those who don’t ordinarily seek out science activities but who are interested in sports and running.
In addition, it provides a fun, physical activity to those who are already engaged with science and/or the history of our ancestors.